Apple cider vinegar is the ideal pat-on-the-back that your body needs when dealing with the painful symptoms of pancreatitis. This drink provides numerous health benefits such as cardiovascular and liver health. You can also try remedies such as warm compress and acupuncture for pain relief. Then again, you can also prevent yourself from experiencing this disease by cutting off alcohol and smoking and sticking to a balanced diet.
Pancreatitis is a very common health condition that occurs due to the busy flow of digestive enzymes. This congestion overwhelms the enzymes into attacking the pancreas, thereby causing inflammation.
While a medical prescription is compulsory for this kind of complication, the effect of home remedies too can surprise you in the long run. This is where apple cider vinegar and various other concoctions come into play.
Table of Contents
Is apple cider vinegar good for pancreatitis?
According to a 2017 experiment conducted on rats, it was proven that antioxidants in apple vinegar have healing qualities that can help recover a deteriorated pancreas.
Apple cider vinegar is known for its rich anti-inflammatory properties. You’ll experience physical relief from the abdominal pain that comes with pancreatitis.
So how exactly does apple cider vinegar work its wonders? The natural acid produced from this aids in minimizing the thickness of bile, which helps to stop any gallstones from forming in your gall bladder.
Gallstones are a primary cause of acute pancreatitis. So, by having a simple drink of apple cider vinegar, you can help prevent or soften the blow caused by pancreatitis.
Apple cider vinegar also indirectly helps prevent excess weight gain, which will only speed up your pancreatitis treatment in the long run.
How to make apple cider vinegar at home
The following step-by-step process will instruct you clearly and simply on preparing the ideal apple cider vinegar concoction to treat your pancreatitis.
For this, you’re going to need 2 cups of apple cores and peels, sugar, and 3 cups of filtered water.
- First, you’ll need to place your apple pieces in the glass jar and fill the jar with your cups of filtered water.
- Next, you can add 2 tablespoons of sugar and shake your jar until the contents dissolve.
- Then, you can cover up the jar with a sheath of cloth and a rubber band to make sure the cloth stays in place.
- Now, you’ll simply have to rest the jar in a dark location for a period of 3 or 4 weeks.
- During this period, make sure that you check on it and stir it from time to time so that the apple pieces are entirely submerged.
- After the period ends, strain out the remaining apple pieces and keep the jar for another 3 to 4 weeks.
- Voila! Now it’s ready to drink.
How else can apple cider vinegar improve your health?
When you come across a healthy drink that can help treat a serious health condition, it’s only natural to be curious about other health risks that this drink can fight off. The following table signifies such health benefits of apple cider vinegar.
|Health benefit||Proof through studies|
|Protection against cardiovascular diseases||In a 2010 study conducted by the US National Library of Medicine, the beneficial effects of vinegar on patients suffering from atherosclerosis were proven.|
|Managing blood sugar levels.||A 2017 study reveals that taking 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar before bedtime helped immensely maintain glucose levels.|
|Improved liver health||A 2007 study shows how acetic acid found in apple cider vinegar helps protect liver cells.|
|Helps in weight loss||A 12-week study conducted on obese men presented that acetic acid found in apple cider vinegar helped reduce belly fat.|
|Balancing cholesterol||A 2006 animal study conducted proved the positive effects of apple cider vinegar on cholesterol and blood pressure.|
Home remedies for pancreatitis apart from apple cider vinegar.
If you’re looking for home remedy options apart from apple cider vinegar, the following list will be quite useful in relieving the pain that comes with pancreatitis.
- Warm compress – If you’re going through bad pain in your upper abdomen due to your pancreatitis, the heat provided by a warm compress will soothe your abdomen muscles and relieve your pain. You can even use a hot water bottle for this purpose.
- Try some ginger tea – Ginger is a well-known miracle ingredient for inflammation. Its anti-inflammatory, antioxidant properties will ease you more than you’d expect.
- Acupuncture – This is a form of therapy that is ideal and effective when it comes to relieving pain. For this, you’ll have to visit a professional who will insert thin metallic needles into your skin in a manner that relieves your stress points.
- Omega 3 fatty acids – Its anti-inflammatory properties can help ease the inflammation of your pancreas when it comes to acute pancreatitis. If you’re dealing with chronic pancreatitis too, this remedy proves to be successful in reducing tissue fibrosis.
- Include blueberries into your diet – Blueberries although tiny, are quite rich in antioxidants that can shield your pancreas from inflammatory damage.
How to prevent pancreatitis from happening
If a loved one is already suffering from pancreatitis, you would’ve already caught a glimpse of how painful this health condition can be. So, it’s normal to want to be safe from it and to know your risks of developing this disease.
If you want to prevent pancreatitis from the get-go, you’ll have to make a few lifestyle changes. In the long-run such changes could prevent you from developing other unknown health conditions as well.
- Firstly, you’ll need to keep your alcohol intake to a minimum and refrain from smoking.
- A diet plan would also work wonders, especially one that’s rich in proteins, fruits, and vegetables.
- When it comes to carbs and fats, you may want to hold yourself back.
- Water is an important component of any disease prevention schedule. So, make sure you stay hydrated throughout the day, especially on hot busy days.
If you want to take an extra step for a super healthy pancreas, you could also try replacing your daily coffee cup with decaffeinated green tea, which is a far healthier substitute. You could also try including antioxidant-rich foods into your balanced diet.
Can you drink apple cider vinegar daily without having any side effects?
Sure, but it’s best to be on the safe side and dilute your apple cider vinegar. You can easily accommodate a diluted version by including it as a salad dressing. Be cautious about your vinegar intake since it can risk early tooth enamel erosion.
Who should not take apple cider vinegar?
If you’re taking insulin for your diabetes, you should probably avoid taking apple cider vinegar. The reason is that insulin causes your blood sugar levels to drop, and we already know that apple cider vinegar does the same. So, you might just run the risk of a too low blood sugar level which should be avoided at all costs.
What is the leading cause of pancreatitis?
The most common causes of pancreatitis are alcoholism and gallstones. However, other reasons like high levels of lipids in your body and high calcium levels in your blood can also cause this condition.
Overall, apple cider vinegar will give you a helping hand in your recovery from pancreatitis. Although there’s enough research supporting the health benefits of this healthy drink, it’s always safer to run it by your doctor since you may have other health conditions or medications that may hinder or counter its positive effect.
With your doctor’s approval, you can follow the given guidelines and prepare your concoction by yourself.
Meanwhile, you can also engage in stress and pain-relieving activities such as acupuncture, which will not only benefit your pancreatitis but also heal your state of mind.