Dry and wrinkled testicles can be caused due to natural reasons such as aging and temperature drops, or they can also be hinting at underlying skin conditions. Scrotal eczema is one such condition you’ll need to watch out for as it involves a variety of annoying symptoms like itchiness and blisters that can make your day a whole lot more uncomfortable.
You can treat such conditions in many ways, like trying out moisturizers, natural applications such as aloe vera gel, and a warm bath can go a long way too. The best way to get on track for healthy skin is by making lifestyle changes one step at a time, like avoiding smoking and engaging in regular exercise.
Dry skin is typically quite harmless. However, if you allow your skin to get too dry, especially when it comes to body parts like testicles with many sensitive nerves, it can lead to irritation.
If not properly cared for, your skin can become try and lead to skin conditions like dermatitis. If you’re noticing your balls suddenly becoming abnormally dry and wrinkled, you might have to consult your doctor on more effective medications if home remedies just won’t work out.
Table of Contents
What causes testicles to become dry and wrinkled?
There can be several reasons why your balls could abruptly become dry and wrinkled, especially since this part of your body is highly sensitive to its environment. Following are the common reasons for this change.
- Change in temperature – When the external temperature drops, the muscle is known as tunica dartos in your testicle may contract and cause your scrotal skin to wrinkle up. By wrinkling, it only leaves a small surface area for heat loss.
- Aging – When you grow older, while the testes within your scrotum remain the same size and shape, externally they may appear smaller and more wrinkled due to the aging process. This is completely normal and nothing to be concerned about unless you develop unusual pains.
- Scrotal eczema – This is a skin condition that can cause your testicles to be dry and scaly. This condition runs in families and can occur from lice, skin infections, allergies, and anxiety. This condition is not merely limited to your balls but can appear on your hands, scalp, face, feet, and inner sides of your elbows.
Symptoms of scrotal eczema and home remidies
A 2007 population-based survey found out that 31 million Americans may experience some form of eczema. Given the popularity of this disease, it’ll be helpful to understand other symptoms that you can expect to treat.
|Intense itchiness||The best way to reduce the itchiness is by keeping a cool compress. You can also try wearing cotton undergarments that don’t irritate your skin any further.|
|Burning sensation and redness||You can try applying a certain moisturizer on your skin and softly rub. It’s important to pick mild soaps when it comes to freshening up.|
|Testicular discomfort||You can try out corticosteroids to reduce inflammation, and antihistamines can also be taken to minimize your discomfort.|
|Blisters||Blisters may last 2 to 3 weeks. A 2013 study revealed that the application of virgin coconut oil for a prolonged period improves the skin’s health, thereby reducing eczema blisters.|
Other home remedies for dry and wrinkled balls
- Aloe Vera gel – Aloe Vera is well known in skincare routines and maybe just the treatment you need for your wrinkled balls. A 2017 study reveals that Aloe Vera has antibacterial and antimicrobial properties that can evade skin infections and soothe dry wrinkly skin.
- Colloidal oatmeal – This is a product that’s created by grounding and boiling oats to extract its skin healing properties. According to a 2015 study conducted this oatmeal lotion can improve scaling, roughness, and skin dryness.
- Apple cider vinegar – While this concoction is known to aid in various skin disorders. However, if it’s too acidic and you haven’t diluted it enough, it can trigger or even worsen skin dryness and irritation. So, it’s a bit of a risky option.
- Lukewarm baths – Not too cold! Not too hot! Your bath is best at lukewarm. It’s also important to scrub only gently and use mild soaps. An ideal bath for your skin should last for about 10 to 15 minutes according to the National Eczema Association.
Is the skin on your entire body dry and wrinkled?
Your balls can be a tiny part of the problem if you’re experiencing dry and wrinkled skin throughout your body. Apart from eczema and aging, two other reasons exist if this is the case.
Exposure to ultraviolet light and radiation causes the rate of your natural aging process to speed up and can cause wrinkling and dry skin even at a younger age.
When the UV light touches your skin, its connective tissue, including components like collagen and elastin fibers, starts to tear apart. Without such connective tissue, the skin lacks flexibility prematurely, leading to saggy and wrinkly skin.
The other reason for your dry skin could be excessive smoking. The chemical component known as nicotine in cigarettes cuts down the oxygen flow and prevents nutrients from reaching your skin cells.
Due to this disturbance, you may notice wrinkles, dryness, and hoarse itchy skin transformations.
What is the secret to healthy smooth skin?
If you’re yearning for a softer, smoother skin not only for your testicular health but for your overall skin health, the only thing getting in your way will be your lifestyle. Those little healthy habits that people make add up to give out the ideal skin type.
Regularly keeping in touch with the following steps will help you with dry and wrinkly skin conditions.
- Always stay hydrated – There is enough and more evidence on the skin healing qualities of water. A 2018 study conducted by the US National Library of Medicine shows how water improves skin elasticity and minimizes skin irritation and dryness.
- Regular exercise – Any form of aerobic exercise will help you maintain smoother skin since a full-body workout can thin out the outer layer of the skin, which will give you a younger look in the long run.
- Protect yourself from the sun – Always wear your sunscreen when you go out to the beach on an excessively hot day. UV rays from the sun can do a lot more damage to one’s skin not merely by making your skin dry but also by giving you skin cancer.
- Don’t smoke or overdo alcohol – Nicotine from the smoke and dehydration caused by alcohol can both tire out your skin, so be mindful whenever you’re tempted to drink or smoke.
- Eat antioxidant-rich foods – Foods like fruits, vegetables, and fatty fish are quite rich in antioxidants and can have a healing effect on your skin.
After considering all the facts and research, we can confirm that dryness and wrinkles in testicles don’t usually indicate a serious health condition and can be treated quite easily through ointments, moisturizers, and over-the-counter medication.
You can try various home remedies and lifestyle changes to heal your skin back to normal if your skin condition isn’t a result of aging.
You should be concerned about if any lump or swelling starts to form along with pain or firmness in your balls. In such cases, you might be looking at a symptom of testicular cancer. Since dryness can be treated, it’s best if you get right to it for a speedy recovery.